Monday, October 08, 2007

Ten Still-Fresh Links

Lots of things on the web are evergreens: just as good a year from now as a year ago. Pieces whose virtue are not bound by historical moment.

So here are ten things I've linked to in the past that are still just as good, just as fresh, just as worth reading (seeing, hearing, whatevering) as they were when I linked to them. If I wrote about them (rather than just including a link in a list), I've linked to my comments too. But for the most part you can just click through -- they're all good.

1. Orson Welles reading selections from Walt Whitman's Song of Myself (real audio file). (Link to my earlier comments.)
2. Jonathan Lethem's essay The Ecstasy of Influence: a Plagiarism
3. The songs of Jonathan Coulton (Link to my first Coulton post -- link to my follow-up post; both have favorite lists)
4. The poems of W. H. Auden (Link to my earlier comments, including a list of some of my favorites)
5. Peter Watts's powerpoint on vampire biology (Link to my earlier comments)
6. Adam Gopnik's essay on the Starr Report
7. Michael Kelly's parody of lateral thinking tests.
8. The documentary film Jesus Camp - online in its entirety.
9. Martin Luther King's speech against the Vietnam war (audio & text)
10. Peter Watts's novel Blindsight, featuring the vampires profiled in item 5 above

(My current blog-slowdown, discussed here, is still in effect, and is likely to last into November. Expect normal blogging to resume thereafter.)

No comments: